Former Circuit Court Magistrate Judge
Hon. Richard F. McDevitt founded the McDevitt Mediation Center as a means to utilize his vast experience on the bench to help bring about fair and just settlements in a calm and dignified manner outside a court of law.
The entirety of his career has been spent in the practice of law. Prior to founding McDevitt Mediation Center, Judge McDevitt served as Magistrate Judge of the Lake County Circuit Court.
During that time, he served on the Indiana Supreme Court Committee on Jury Rules, drafting the Rules and Amendments governing assembly, selection and management of juries in all Indiana courts.
While on the bench, Judge McDevitt was named Outstanding Judge by the Indiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence in recognition of outstanding service to victims of domestic violence.
As Lake Circuit Court Magistrate Judge, he presided over jury and bench trials involving all aspects of civil disputes, including:
- personal injury and wrongful death
- insurance coverage
- medical and legal malpractice
- class actions and contracts
- real property and property tax
- employment discrimination and wrongful discharge
- injunctions and family law
Judge McDevitt also successfully conducted Judicial Settlement Conferences involving complex litigation.
A graduate of the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum’s Civil and Domestic Relations Mediation Training, Judge McDevitt is registered with the Indiana Supreme Court as both a Civil and a Domestic Relations Mediator.
Since leaving the bench, Judge McDevitt has conducted hundreds of mediations and served as Panel Chair on numerous Arbitration Panels involving personal injury and contract disputes.
Prior to his appointment to the court, Judge McDevitt worked for 22 years in private practice. During that time, he:
- Practiced as a civil litigator representing both Plaintiffs and Defendants.
- Served as City Attorney for the City of Gary, Indiana, as a litigator and appellate counsel.
Judge McDevitt is a graduate of:
- Indiana University, BA 1982
- Indiana University School of Law, JD 1985